Sleeping Princess Yum Yum

"Bang!" goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van/ see the light ram through the gaps in the land/ many an Aborigine's mistaken for a tree/ Til' you near him on the motorway and the tree begins/ to breathe/ Coming in with the golden light/ In the morning/ Coming in with the golden light/ Is the New Man/ Coming in with the golden light/ Is my dented van/ Woomera. "Dree-ee-ee-ee-ee- A-a-a-a-a- M-m-m-m-m- Ti-ti-ti-ti-ti- I-i-i-i-i- Me-me-me-me-me,"

Sunday, April 24, 2005

This week on the amazing race

I am in my high school gym looking at the proscenium theatre. There is furniture all over the place, some of it covered in sheets. TL is there and she is a lawyer. There is furniture on the stage and one of her clients is terrified and hiding behind a large wardrobe -- someone is chasing her. I don't see what happens but I hear gunshots and I know that TL has shot whoever was chasing her client.

I walk along the hallways and Oprah is filming a show in the rooms upstairs. I sit on a carpeted box and watch her talk to people on the front of the stage. Julia Roberts is sitting next to me and we start talking about symmetry in faces and nature. She has a knit cap pulled down over her head and she is very pretty. Oprah walks over near us and is talking about some product. I make a fiona "yuk" face and she laughs and says she'll pretend like she didn't see that. I figure that it's for legal reasons. TL is creeping in among the crowd and there is murmuring. She is a murderer. She is there to talk about her side of the story but I can see she is going to chicken out.

Now I am on the Ganges river. There are boats that have rubber walkways that arc over their topdecks and dip down into the water. They look like filmstrips. They are ribbed like ladders and the locals climb down the sides and perch on the edges in the water to row and pull the boats along. I am in a contest and I have to climb down the sides, row the boat to a structure in the river and maneuver it with the oars to back it into a dock. I climb down without hesitation. I want to win, and so I ignore the fact that the river is filthy and that fish will bite my legs. I am wearing a sari so I hoist it up and straddle the edge and start to row. I am surprised at how strong I am and how quickly I move the boat along. I keep thinking that if I were really here that I would feel the fish biting me. I have no trouble backing the boat into the dock and when it's moored, I jump off onto the scaffolding of the structure and climb up into the center.

As I make my way up the metal walkways and escalators, I see TL again. She tells me she is making her way to Bear Stearns to apologize and asks if I think that she is doing the right thing and wants to know if it will give her peace of mind. I don't know what to say so I say something like "talk to god and see what he says" and jump on the next escalator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home