Sleeping Princess Yum Yum

"Bang!" goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van/ see the light ram through the gaps in the land/ many an Aborigine's mistaken for a tree/ Til' you near him on the motorway and the tree begins/ to breathe/ Coming in with the golden light/ In the morning/ Coming in with the golden light/ Is the New Man/ Coming in with the golden light/ Is my dented van/ Woomera. "Dree-ee-ee-ee-ee- A-a-a-a-a- M-m-m-m-m- Ti-ti-ti-ti-ti- I-i-i-i-i- Me-me-me-me-me,"

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Attention Wal Mart Shoppers

Crossing a bridge and there is an event happening. A heavily made up woman with tight curly hair is wearing the dance costume I wore as a child when I played the little wooden doll. I pass them and don't say anything. When I am walking back over I am with a man and I ask him what is going on. It looks like people are gathered around the woman now asking for autographs. He says "don't you recognize her? It's BC" and I cringe and try to pass by again without her seeing me.

I pull up to a bakery that inside is how Giffords was in my child's mind. There are pastries in the glass and they are beautiful. It's connected to a Wal-Mart kind of mall. There is a doorway that leads into the mall and it is crowded and belies the beauty of the patisserie. The girl behind the counter does not want to help me. I ask her for some cookies for my father and she gives me three of a kind I do not want in a tiny tacky bag that says "happy birthday". Hidden behind commercial packages for m&m creations I see cookies that look like the pumpkin shaped cookies they used to have at La Delice on 27th and 3rd Ave. I ask her if I can buy some and she pulls them out using her fingers, hands one to me and walks away. I follow her into the mall and say in my best meanest voice over the intercom - will the manager please come to the front to discuss the conduct of employee casey.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes!!! I can't say how many times I've wanted to do something like that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home